Article versioning introduces new actions that allow knowledge users to create and
revise versions of existing articles. It also introduces new fields and related lists to the
Knowledge form, new columns to the Knowledge list, and updates to Knowledge dashboard reports.
New user actions
As part of creating article versions, users can:
- Check out a published article and create a new version by clicking
Checkout on the Knowledge form.
Note: Only the author, knowledge
base owner, and users with the knowledge_admin role can edit an article in the draft
- Recall an article that is being reviewed by clicking Recall on
the Knowledge form.
- Select a previously published article in the Outdated state and make it the current
published version by clicking Make this current in the Knowledge
Note: To edit a published article without having to create a new version, make sure the
glide.knowman.versioning.enable_minor_edits property is
Changes to the Knowledge list
The article versioning feature adds the following to the Knowledge list:
- The Version column displays the article version number. The
Knowledge list displays multiple versions of an article.
- The Workflow column includes the new
Changes to the Knowledge form
The article versioning feature adds the following to the Knowledge form:
- The Version field displays the article version number.
- The Display number field displays a combination of the article
number and the version number. For example, KB0010004 v1.02. All references to a
knowledge article use this display number.
- The Base Version field displays the knowledge article number
and version on which the current article is based.
- The Revised By field displays the name of the user who checked
out a published article and created a new version.
- The Article Versions related list displays a list of all
versions for an article. From this list,you can:
- Click the Version to view a specific version of an
- Click the View Article related link to see the article page
Note: If necessary, configure the form to display the fields and the related list.
Changes to Knowledge modules
The article versioning feature introduces the following Knowledge module changes:
- My Knowledge Articles
- For a knowledge user, this module includes records for the articles authored by
the user as well as records for each article revised by the user.
- For a knowledge reviser, this module includes records for the articles published
by the user as well as records for each article revised by the user.
- My Flagged
- For a knowledge user, this module includes records for each revision made to
articles authored by the user.
- For a knowledge reviser, this module includes records for each article revised by
Note: Users that have customized these modules do not see these changes.
Changes to Knowledge Management dashboard reports
The Knowledge Management Overview dashboard reports have been updated to include article
versioning-related changes when the Knowledge Management Advanced plugin is activated.
- Articles Flagged in the Last 30 Days
- Articles Marked Not Useful in the Last 30 Days
- Articles Used per Month
- Knowledge use
- Knowledge view
- Knowledge updated in past 30 days
- Knowledge flagged in past 30 days
- Knowledge by Workflow state
- Knowledge created by Author
- Knowledge created in past 30 days
- New Knowledge Articles Created in the Last 30 Days
- Knowledge Ratings for past 30 days
Versioning information available in the Knowledge Management Service Portal
Knowledge search results show the article number and the version number for each article.
To display the article version number next to the article number in the search results,
enable the glide.knowman.search.show_article_number property in the
Knowledge Search Properties section of the Knowledge Management Properties page.
If you are accessing an article from the base system or knowledge service portals using
the URL to a KB article, you must also include the article version number in the URL.
For example, to access the KB0000005 knowledge article, instead of using the
as the URL, you must use https://<instance
name>/sp?id=kb_article&sys_id=KB0000005%20V1.0 to view the article.
The article view page shows a version history section for articles that have been updated.
This section includes the version numbers, date updated, and the name of the author or
- Click Latest version or the version number and current state to
expand the version history section.
- Click the version number to open that particular version of the article.
- When viewing an outdated article, a message informs the user that a newer updated
version is available. The message includes a link to the latest version.