The methods for choosing a link target (Open in: current window, iframe, or new window)
and referencing the item linked (Redirect to: page reference, attachment reference, or URL
reference) are similar, so learning how to link within any of these elements is
- A content page reference helps you select the desired page.
- For example, the value home.do links to the site homepage.
- An attachment reference allows you to reference a single file attached to the menu item or
section record. If there is more than one attachment, only the first is referenced.
- Link is generated automatically and displays a browser file save prompt.
- The specified URL reference allows you to link to a full URL string that may be in the ServiceNow system or part of another
- For example,
links to the Ask a Question record producer.
- If you need to link to a page in an existing intranet system, this attribute can be
Menu sections define groups of links and how the links behave. For example, link behavior
determines which page opens when the link is clicked and how it opens (such as in a new page
or a new frame). Use the following procedure to view a sample menu section.
- Navigate to
- Click Portal - Block Menu.
- In Menu Sections, click Order
- Click the reference icon next to Detail Page.
- In Related Links, click Edit Page.
default, the link goes to the Order Things page that has the Portal - Order Splash
Menu (Vertical Block Menu) in the content area of the page.
In the majority of the default CMS menus, the menu section serves as the menu title followed
by secondary text, a separation line, and whatever links you define as menu items. The two menus
primarily illustrate CMS menus. Although the design is versatile and flows well between pages,
there could be questions about linking and scalability to large catalogs. This may only be a
good practice for a small catalog with limited items. Look at the request catalog list / grid
view demo in the code example demos menu on the ESS Portal:
- Open your instance.
- Add /ess/manage.do to the address in your browser address bar. The
address should look similar to: https://yourinstancename.service-now.com/ess/manage.do.
- In the Code Example Demos section, click Request Catalog
List / Grid View.
- Browse the catalog items.
Menu items and content links
Menu items can be seen as featured links from each section. There are many choices in URL
definitions and link options. Links within the ESS Portal all link to content pages within
the site. In turn, each page has an iFrame or set of blocks that houses the corresponding
data. This method is useful for rapid prototyping, but consider where you need to create
dynamic detail pages. Looking across all the menu sections, this discussion explains some of
the linking options available to records within the system.
Before proceeding to the links themselves, it is important to mention content links in the
CMS. Menu items are similar to content links except they are called by the list block, not
as part of a navigation menu block. Menu items and content links function the same as far as
how they are defined and the options available for linking to items within the ServiceNow
system. Content links are
meant to be called through a list block that calls the Content Link [content_link] table.
Content links do not have the Logged in field or the Roles option that can be very useful
for controlling the UI experience for various roles defined in the system.
Linking to catalog items, reports, and business services
links to a content page (CMS page referenced:
Business Service Portfolio, URL:
) that pulls the
system service catalog homepage into a frame within the content area. Each link within this
section leverages the browse by category page, where you pass in the name of the category to
- Target page's iFrame URL:
- Target page's frame name:
- Desktop Computing URL: category_browse.do?category=Desktop
- Business Applications URL: category_browse.do?category=Business
- Communications Services URL:
- Infrastructure Services URL:
- Hosting Services URL: category_browse.do?category=Hosting
links to to a content page which pulls a small subset
of services into an iFrame.
- iFrame URL:
- Frame name:
- Install Software URL:
- Email Account URL:
- Electronic Messaging URL:
- VPN RSA Token URL:
- Shared Storage (SAN) URL:
links to a content page that pulls the reports page into an
iFrame. All links within this menu leverage homepages in the system, which creates an issue with
the home.do URL. Notice in the links below that ../ is used to create a relative URL outside of
the CMS site home.do definition. Without this, the site homepage would render within the iFrame.
- iFrame URL:
- Frame name:
- Cost Management Overview URL:
- Administration Overview URL:
- Portfolio Overview URL: catalog_home.do?sysparm_view=business
- Service Availability URL:
- Service Level Agreements (SLA) URL: