In addition to creating reports from tables and data sources maintained on your
instance, you can import Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx files) of data
maintained outside of your instance and create reports from those files.
Role required: admin, sys_admin, report_admin, pa_admin, or pa_power_user
You must have Performance Analytics to create reports with imported data. See Activate Performance
The following restrictions apply to imported data:
- The maximum file size is 2 MB.
- The maximum number of rows is 10,000. The maximum number of columns is
Note: You can import .xlsx files of up to 50,000
rows, but only the first 10,000 rows appear in your data
- Only the first sheet of an .xlsx file with multiple
sheets is imported.
- The first row and first column of the imported file must not be empty. The
first row is used to identify the column names.
- It is not possible to join columns, calculate fields, or make other changes
to the table after import. These changes must be made before import.
- The imported .xlsx file must have a specified
- If the owner deletes the table after import, reports based on the imported
table are also deleted.
Importing report data in this way is useful when you have information that is
maintained outside of your instance, for example, recurring third-party data. To
import an external data set into your instance permanently, see Importing data using import
The report is created from the external source. Reports on a dashboard or a homepage
show an icon to show that the report is temporary and expires when the external data
On the Data tab, give the report a name that reflects
the information being grouped.
In the Source type list, select External
Note: The External import menu option is only available
if Performance Analytics is enabled.
Choose an existing imported report source, or click the
Upload icon () icon to import a new file.
- Click and drag the file onto the drop zone or click Browse
files to choose it from your file system.
- Enter a name for the uploaded file.
- Set the expiration of the file. After this date,
the imported file is deleted and reports based on it are no longer
- Select the visibility for the uploaded file: Only you, all users, or a
specified group of users, groups, or roles.
- Click Upload.
- Click Done.
On the Type tab, select the type of report you want to
create and click Next. For information on specific
reports, see Creating reports.
version of the report is displayed. To view the updated report at any time,
On the Configure tab, fill in the fields as appropriate
for the report type.
To limit the information displayed in the report, click the filter icon () and select conditions to filter the report data.
For more details on how conditions are constructed, see
Note: Keywords is a special field used for text searches
across all fields. Its use in a filter or condition, in combination with
other conditions, may return inconsistent results.
On the Style tab, fill in the
fields as appropriate to configure the appearance of the report.
The report is generated.
- Click the Report info icon () and add a description of the report.
- Click the sharing icon () to open the Sharing menu. On this menu, you
can add the report to a dashboard, export the report to PDF, publish the
report to the web, and set visibility and schedules.
- Click the sharing icon () to open the Sharing menu. On this menu, you can
share the report with users and groups, add the report to a dashboard, and
publish the report to the web.