State flows are used by SM applications to control how a work order or request
automatically transitions from one state to the next. When state flows are disabled, various
aspects of the ServiceNow
system are also changed, as described here.
Review the following implications before setting the Enable state
flows configuration option to Off. After the
configuration is saved, state flows cannot be re-enabled from the user interface.
When state flows are disabled, the state transition-related behavior of the following
business rules, UI actions, and security rules are affected.
- Business rules on requests:
- Group change validation
- Move tasks to pending assignment
- Request-driven dispatch
- Verify work notes
- Business rules on tasks:
- Apply dispatch method
- Populate schedule
- Populate schedule - new SOT (service order task)
- The following business rules run partially:
- The part of Build scratchpad and display info messages that
shows an error message if a task is pending dispatch and auto-assignment fails is
- For the Validate changes business rule, the only part that
runs is when the system checks for work notes and rolls them up.
- UI actions on requests:
- When the Spam button on the request form is clicked, the
state is not changed, but the work notes indicate that the request was closed as
- UI actions on tasks:
- Assign to me
- View task on map
- Security rules:
- State-based aspects of security rules no longer apply. For example, when state flows
are enabled, the Short description field is not editable when a
request or task is closed complete, incomplete, or canceled. When state flows are
disabled, the Short description is always editable.
- Role-based aspects of security rules continue to apply when state flows are
- Additional changes when state flows are disabled:
- The process flow formatter is removed from request and task forms.
- The State field can be edited on request and task forms.
- The following configuration fields are changed:
- Process lifecycle is set to
- Assignment method for requests is set to
- Assignment method for tasks is set to
- Approval for new request required is disabled.
- Qualification is required for new requests is
- Agent must accept or reject the assigned task is
- Use dispatch queue is disabled.