Service Mapping creates maps to help you see
the architecture and organization of business services. These maps are useful for planning change
or migration, as well as analyzing the continuity and availability of services.
The maps are useful in the following cases:
- Planning the migration of an entire business service or its segments
- Use the map to see which configuration items (CIs) need relocating or which CIs become
- Planning the upgrade or replacement of a CI
- Check the map to see what other CIs are affected when the CI is non-operational during
maintenance. You can assess and plan the downtime or make provisions to avoid the
Because the same CI may be used for multiple business services, check the CI
using the Dependency Views application. With this application, you can see all business
services that a CI belongs to.
- Analyzing a business service for high availability and continuity
- Use the map to identify CIs crucial for the service performance. Decide if you want to
fortify these CIs by creating clusters.
- Troubleshooting business services
- Use the map to understand the impact of an issue and determine which CI is causing the